Friday, July 26, 2013

End of the week post.

This week I decided to paint the Cortina as a 1:64 scale matchbox toy replica, for some reason Matchbox didn't produce a Cortina Mk3, heaven knows why because it was one of the most popular cars on the road at one point.  I see these little toy cars have started getting better in detail over the years as my wife Kat kindly bought me a nice little Mustang for my Birthday. 



I remember as a child my Granddad and I would walk to the local corner shop just a short distance from where my grandparents lived, where he purchased his pipe tobacco and newspaper, occasionally he would buy me a matchbox toy and on the way home I'd turn a two minute walk into a half an hour miniature lemans by driving it over any available surface, like low walls or railings.  
I guess most blokes remember their toys, be that train sets or meccano so I'm sure I am not alone hankering after those memories and replacing them with a 'grown-up' equivalent for me that is cars and I suppose to most enthusiasts they are really just grown up toys. 

Anyway, inspired by that here are the drawings:

Cool Bermuda blue!
I recently saw some pictures of the Hot Wheels "Vintage Racing" range based on, mostly, muscle cars from the 70's.  I thought the Mk3 Cortina would fit great in this range so I produced the only Mk3 racer I know of; Noel Edmonds, is a well known DJ and now TV presenter in the UK, he is probably not known so well for racing a Cortina but back in the 70's that was one of his ventures. He competed in the Cortina BEA Trident Trophy.  Other well knows racers competing were Roger Clark, Graham Hill & John Surtees.   
Noel's '74 Cortina GT


Until next time!  

No comments:

Post a Comment