Friday, May 10, 2013

Cortina Mk3 Interior bits and bobs


Not a great deal to report on, I have bunged a couple of simple bits on the car to make it more civilized. 



Dip mirror, it's a great feature to have in winter!
A rear view mirror with a dip feature so I don't keep getting dazzled.  The glass is a little tarnished around the edges (so was my original non dip version) but I quite like that the car is old enough for an authentic 'antique' mirror look.
Cortina MK3 Leather Steering Wheel

Leather rim steering wheel. In all honesty prefer the original as it's in a matching blue, but because this car is an "L" model the standard steering wheel is not covered in leather and the rim is quite skinny so I don't find it very comfortable to use.  I'll see if I can get the original wheel covered in matching blue leather at some point but for now I like this black one, it feels much nicer and is a bit more plush.  I do not know what model it's from, any ideas? late model 2000E? GT or XL? By the way it is on straight, the wheels are tuned! 


Carpet faded and wants re-dyeing, it should be navy blue.

The standard Cortina L interior is quite spartan really, no Radio or hazard warning light switch.  There is a little coin tray up front which I have removed for the time being.  At least this car has plush carpets, my last cortina, a base model, had a moulded rubber carpet like the one you find in the boot!  
You can see the pedal operation for the wash/wipe function near the clutch pedal.  They have a little pneumatic ball in them so when you pump your foot a few times it (un)enthusiastically squirts water over the windscreen while switching on the wipers.  What I might do is fit a small microswitch to operate an electric washer pump.
I saved the best thing 'till last. I have acquired a GT center console.  Seriously, it was like being a kid at Christmas again when this turned up, I was so pleased. I purchased it cheaply through a top bloke who's a member the club.    


Cortina Mk3 GXL GT center console arrangement.

I always wanted the GT or GXL center console in my last Cortina so I am really glad I have one for this car now, it feels like I am steadily making progress fulfilling achievements unrealized on the previous car. I also have two lots of gauge pods now, this console also came with gauges and I bought a pod on eBay last year with the intension of building my own console out of plywood (there are some good web pages with info on doing this).
You can still find the odd front section of center console but it's getting much harder to find the armrest section now, especially with the hinge and chrome check strap, luckily still attached to mine.
I need to give it a strip down, get some paint mixed up to match the blue of the interior and re-spray it.  The lid on the armrest has been made from wood at some point (surprisingly well really) as it's the correct profile so I'll just cover it with a thin layer of dense foam then finish with black vinyl.
Both sections of Cortina center console. 



Cortina Mk3 GT GXL center console

That is how I think I'll paint it.  

I need some original Cortina Mk3 seatbelt buckles, the ones fitted are not the right ones, you might notice the ones on there are really way too short meaning you cant actually get the buckle past the seat and the console to click it in so I need to add those to my shopping list at some point.         

No comments:

Post a Comment